THE FOUNDING NODE
OF THE PAGBABAGO MOVEMENT AND ITS MEMBERS
(October 10, 2002)
On August 7, 2002, nineteen (19) people came
together and launched the Pagbabago Movement as a cultural-social movement for the radical
transformation of Philippine society.
The members of the Founding Node come from diverse backgrounds and have united on the
basis of the Kartilya of the movement. They come from backgrounds in the economy
(businessmen and women), politics (government leaders and technical people), and culture
(artists, environmentalists, journalists, professors, NGO leaders, and other civil society
leaders). While many are leaders in their respective institutions, they have joined
Founding Node of the Pagbabago Movement in their individual capacity, giving them the
necessary independence from the imperatives of their institutions.
The Kartilya clearly lays out the cultural-social nature of the movement and the approach
of the new revolution. At the same time, the Kartilya recognizes that the massive task of
renewing Philippine society will require the involvement of individuals, from all walks of
life, not only from cultural-social but also from the political and economic domains of
Philippine society. This diversity will enable the movement to transform many aspects of
Philippine social life.
The founders of the movement wanted who they were to be secondary to what they stand for.
They wanted other individuals to join not on the basis of personality but on the basis of
their connection with the ideals, principles and intentions of the Pagbabago Movement as
embodied in its Kartilya. However, many who do want to join are asking: "Who are
standing behind the Pagbabago Movement?" They want to gauge the kind of beginning
leadership that stands behind the Kartilya and the movement.
In response, therefore, to this request, the Pagbabago Movement is issuing this
information sheet on the members of the Founding Node of the Pagbabago Movement.
Members of the Founding Node of the Pagbabago Movement
· Dina Abad, Director, Ateneo School of Government
· Dr. Neric Acosta, Congressman, 1st District,
Bukidnon, Republic of the Philippines
· Ella Antonio, Homemaker and Mother of Two
· Trina Belamide, Songwriter and President, KATHA,
(Organization of Filipino Composers)
· Marissa Bondoc, Advertising,
Marketing, and Media Consultant
· Nina Bustamante, Technical Staff,
· Carmelo Caluag, S.J.,
Vice-President, Ateneo de Manila University
· Dr. Martin Camara, Chiropractic
physician, Managing Director, Intercare Healthcare Centers, and Concerned Citizen
· Rina Jimenez David, Columnist, Philippine Daily
· Guido Delgado, CEO, GAAD Inc., a consultancy firm
· Jeremy Eliab, Director, Faculty Development and
Scholarship Office, Professor Philosophy/Mass Communication Depts, Ateneo de Davao
· Rollie Fabi, Director, Philippine Council of Young
· JP Fenix, Strategic Communications Counselor
· Jay Fonacier, founder, Odyssey Records
· Calvin Genotiva, Financial
Consultant and President and CEO, Sundaland, Inc.
· Bart Guingona, Theater Director,
President, Actor's Actor Inc.
· Dr. Cielito Habito, Professor of Economics and Director ,
Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development, Ateneo de Manila University.
· Vincent Lazatin, Vice-President, Winvest
· Panjee Lopez, Lifestyle Columnist,
Philippine Star and concerned citizen
· Alex Magno, columnist, Manila
· Cynthia Mamon, President, Sun
· Mardi Mapa-Suplido,
Provincial Board Member - 3rd District of Negros Occidental and Human Rights Activist
· Alan T. Ortiz, Ph.D., Public Policy Consultant,
Managing Director, CEOs, Inc.
· Jun Palafox, President and CEO,
Palafox and Associates
· Francis Pangilinan, Senator,
Republic of the Philippines
· Jim Paredes, Artist, Member of APO
· Charrie Perlas, Physician,
Entrepreneur, Concerned Citizen
· Nicanor Perlas, President, Center
for Alternative Development Initiatives and Co-founder, Global Network for Social
· Vincent Perlas, Physician, Farmer,
Micro-Finance Practitioner, President and CEO, Lifebank (Rural Bank of Maasin (Iloilo),
· Ramon Marcos Pernia,
Jr., Coordinator, Mindanao Lobby
· Essa Remoquillo, Youth Affairs
Liason, Philippine Senate
· Jesse Robredo, Mayor, Naga City
· Marian Pastor Roces,
Critic (cultural theory), Independent Curator, and CEO, TAO, Inc.
· Dr. Chito Salazar,
President, STI, Inc.
· Jose Ma. Lorenzo Tan,
President, WWF Philippines
· Vivienne Tan, Founder and
President, Thames Business School
· Bill Velasco, TV sports newscaster